The great Rodgers and Hammerstein had their work turned into seven (or eight if you count a remake) glorious films. I was raised on them and loved most. They are (alphabetically):
- Flower Drum Song
- The King and I
- The Sound of Music
- South Pacific
- State Fair
Come up with the answers to the following 25 questions. Scoring at the bottom.
(1) The only film (above) to have won Oscar's Best Picture.
(2) These lyrics are from what song & film... Why do they make up stories to link my name to yours/Why do the neighbors chatter all day behind their doors/I know a way to prove what they say is quite untrue/Here is the gist, a practical list of donts for you
(3) The first of their films is also the only one to have been remade. Which one?
(4) Out of My Dreams is a song from which film?
(5) Frank Sinatra started filming the starring role in which film? He walked out and was replaced by someone the producers could count on.
(6) These lyrics are from what song & film... Maybe it's more than the moon/Maybe it's more than the birds/Maybe it's more than the sight of the night/In a light too lovely for words
(7) He played Luther Billis.
(8) Which film's outdoor sequences were filmed entirely in Arizona?
(9) Mary Martin starred in two of the Broadway productions of these films. She was deemed not movie star material so her roles went to these two actresses.
(10) Which one was based on Ferenc Molnar's play Liliom?
(11) These lyrics are from what song & film... A dream that will need/All the love you can give/Every day of your life/For as long as you live
(12) There were dramatic versions (no songs) of this one both before and after the musical.
(13) It was criticized for its unusual use of color.
(14) The song I Must Have Done Something Good was not in the play but it was written for the movie version. Which movie?
(15) Some of the performers in these various musicals... Jeanne Crain, Dana Andrews, Deborah Kerr, Rossano Brazzi, John Kerr and Christopher Plummer among them... have this in common.
(16) She was Linda Low.
(17) These lyrics are from what song & film... Gayer than laughter are you/Sweeter than music are you/Angel and lover, heaven and earth are you to me
(18) Which film was set in the earliest period?
(19) Arguably the sexiest look to any of their songs was Willing and Eager... from which film?
(20) These lyrics are from what song & film... I adore being dressed in something frilly/When my date comes to get me at my place/Out I go with my Joe or John or Billy/Like a filly who is ready for the race
(21) Other than Gordon MacRae and Shirley Jones, who is the only other person to be featured in two R/H movies?
(22) These lyrics are from what song & film... So many men and girls/ are in each others' arms/It made me think we might be/
(23) The only one of their films NOT to have originally been a play.
(24) These lyrics are from what song & film... Words wouldn't come in an easy way/Round in circles I'd go/Longin' to tell you/But afraid and shy/I'd let my golden chances pass me by
(25) The only performer to win an Oscar for an R/H film.
Answers on Monday, February 20
Superb. You need tougher questions.
Hey, maybe you should start a blog.
You're showing a lot of potential.
imdb is good resource material
15 and below
Sorry. Know anything about football?
NEXT POST: Review of This Means War